cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Giacomo Pati <Giacomo.P...@pwr.ch>
Subject Move to Xalan2J
Date Fri, 13 Oct 2000 05:00:01 GMT
In the last couple of days many patches have been made and send to me which I've
finally integrated and commited.

Now we have moved Cocoon 2 to Xalan2J which has been made available with great
effort by Davanum Srinivas, Sebastien Sahuc, Sean Timm and Scott Boag and
probabbly others I've not realized. This includes the changes to the XSP engine
which now generates code using SAX events instead of DOM trees. The performance
gain is respectable and Xalan2J still has a great potential to be further
optimized (Scott told me it is not optimized at all :)

Paul Russell (sorry, I've misspelled your name in the cvs commits) has
implemented a component manager for the general components (not sitemap
components) which respects the new interfaces from the new avalon release. These
interfaces are used to mark classes as ThreadSafe, SingleThreaded, Poolable or
Recyclable. With this base implementation we are able to (finally) use the Store
to save objects for multiple uses (i.e pregenerated or compiled stylesheets).

Further, the component defined in a sitemap are now available to sub sitemaps
(sitemap component inheritance). This means that you can use sitemap components
defined in the parent sitemap without the need to redeclare them.

I'm sure there are still bugs in all the new code. And because of this I will
take a break with my family for a few days to let you find all of them and send
patches and commit them :)

A few people have asked to update the TODO list which I haven't been able to do
for now. But here is a short list with task of thing to do next:

- Fully integration of the new avalon release.
- Specifying and implemeting the "Content Aggregation" from the RT series
- Going deeper into the "Status and profiling" RT from Paul Russell

Any volunter to do that are welcome. And then we should stabilize the system by
bug hunting and testing.

I need a break for a few days now and I'll be back next Friday and hope to see
some of you at the ApacheCon afterwards.

Hang loose :)

Giacomo

                                          Web:   http://www.pwr.ch