cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <wallez.anyw...@free.fr>
Subject Re: Internationalization
Date Fri, 06 Oct 2000 13:23:28 GMT
I think the features of java.text.MessageFormat can handle most if not
all of theses issues. The additional dynamic features that may be
required when translating to a new language are essentially related to
the expression of plural.

Maybe we should model the arguments of MessageFormat as XML whith the
help of the xml:lang attribute ?

Something like :
<translate>
  <text xml:lang="fr">Sur le disque "{1}", il {0,choice,0#n'y a aucun
fichier|1#y a un fichier|1#y a {0,number,integer} fichiers}.</text>
  <text xml:lang="en">There {0,choice,0#are no files|1#is one file|1#are
{0,number,integer} files} on disk "{1}"</text>
  <param>2345</param>
  <param>D:</param>
<translate>

This implementation puts all translations in a single source file. If
you prefer to have one dictionary file per language, maybe we could use
XLink references ?

Another additional idea : with C2, we could pre-filter each multilingual
file into serveral monolingual files, thus avoiding the overhead of
applying the translation transformer a each request.

My .02 euro.

-Sylvain