cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Giacomo Pati <Giacomo.P...@pwr.ch>
Subject Re: XSP engine based on SAX : some interesting figures so far ...
Date Thu, 05 Oct 2000 18:49:02 GMT
> Sebastien Sahuc wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> As I'm in the way to finish getting rid of DOM in the XSP engine, I would like to share
with you some interesting figures I got so far.

> What I did is I extracted the XSP Engine from cocoon (thanks to the nice design), and
call 100 times the method generateCode() from various class implementing the MarkupLanguage
interface (the SAX based interface change a little bit).

> These classes are :
> * SitemapMarkupLanguage  (current cocoon2 dist)
> * SAXSitemapMarkupLanguage  (same as above but SAX based only)
>
> * TestMarkupLanguage from the  (XSP like behaviour, but ligher)
> * SAXTestMarkupLanguage  (same as above but SAX based only)
>
> For the sitemap, I used the simemap.xmap as input document
> For the Test I used a very simple XSP-like page (simple.xsp)
>
> The figures are given in ms per call (call to generateCode) :
> * SitemapMarkupLanguage  : 11500 ms
> * SAXSitemapMarkupLanguage  : 2300 ms
>
> * TestMarkupLanguage : 200 ms
> * SAXTestMarkupLanguage : 25 ms
>
> So the SAX version is almost 4 times faster than the DOM one.
> Moreover if I turn on the -verbose:gc option, it shows that the GC is call 4 times per
loop with DOM , whereas the GC is called every three loops in a SAX based engine.

This sound promising! I'm axiously awaiting your patch then :)

Giacomo

                                          Web:   http://www.pwr.ch