cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Burton <ross.bur...@mail.com>
Subject Re: [C2] [Xalan2] 3 Issues so far.
Date Wed, 04 Oct 2000 22:11:39 GMT
Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

> Scott_Boag@lotus.com wrote:
> >
> > We build distributions and the like with ant.  But for my personal
> > development cycles, I still like make... it seems faster.  Maybe we just
> > need to improve our ant file.
>
> faster? are you kidding? ant is 10 times faster than make on almost
> every system I found... what's the problem are you having? does it
> recompile everything everytime? do you use jikes?

Ah...

Under Windoze make is sloooowwwwwww....  (and configure scripts are
deathly slow)  Under Linux/*BSD/Solaris, it is damn fast.  The only
problem is Makefiles which compiles each .java files using javac
individually. A well-written Makefile will also compile everything in
one go (like Ant), along with Jikes this will finish before the JVM has
started on most platforms, IMHO.

(that is why I was thinking about writing an Ant xml to Makefile
converter)

Ross Burton