cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: browser handling in C1/C2
Date Tue, 03 Oct 2000 16:23:42 GMT
Ovidiu Predescu wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've been reading the C2 sources this evening, looking to see how different
> browser types are handled in C2. To my surprise I discovered that it uses the
> same (in my opinion broken) way as C1 of assigning media types based on the
> user agent string passed in the HTTP request.
>
> I was under the impression that a much cleaner way that takes into account the
> Accept: header is going to replace the C1 way of setting the content type of
> the result.

The way browser type are handled is pluggable... so simply create the
matcher/selector you like the most and submit it to us :)

We are very lazy in case you didn't notice :)

> The reason I'm asking is because I'd like to experiment, in C1 for now, with a
> different way of determining the media type, essentially based on the Accept:
> header. The main motivation for doing this is to handle the explosion of WAP
> devices out there, each one requiring an entry in the cocoon.properties file,
> which is clearly not a scalable solution.

I've been told this is not a viable solutions since almost all WAP
phones forget to send the appropriate Accept: headers... but I won't
stop you from trying :)

> The idea is to use the user agent to determine the media type or, in case this
> is not present in the list of user agents, to use the Accept: header to
> determine a generic one.

I like it, go for it.

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.