cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [C2] CLI almost there
Date Mon, 02 Oct 2000 10:12:43 GMT
Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

> Still to do:
>
> 1) create a fake command line object model... yes, Giacomo, I'll do this
> first as you suggested then we'll see

done (only the context is missing for now)

added also file name normalization and mangling to avoid uri->filesystem
transposition problems.

> 2) add link filtering semantics to the sitemap

see my next email for this.

> I'll have a finished CLI for Cocoon2.

on monday (forgot to write)... and here it is :)

just do

 ./build.sh dist
 cd dist/cocoon-2.0a3
 ./run.sh welcome
 cd site

and then enjoy browsing a complete and faithful snapshot of your web
sites.

A few *highly revolutionary* things that you should note:

 1) all links are translated to reproduce your offline file/directory
structure.
 2) extensions are expanded based on MIME-type returned... so if an SVG
page is serialized into JGP, the extension changes accordingly
 3) broken links are substitued with placeholder pages to avoid offline
broken links (in the future, the placeholder page will be customizable
from command line arguments)

Please understand there is no other tool in the world that gives you
these capabilities for offline generation of web content: all the other
tools have to perform link translation *after* the pages are
downloaded... this implies they have to know the linking semantics of
*all* possible mime types.... so for HTML is pretty simple, but what
about PDF?

Cocoon2 is able to generate static PDF with appropriate linking between
different documents. You could have a truly hyperlinked PDF library or
browse your offline site thru Acrobat directly.

But understand that since linking is performed at a orthogonal semantic
area (xlink + extensions), we are future compatible with *any* XML
format and any of its binary representation... while every other tool
that performs link translation after binary retreival will have to
implement specific parsing for all tools.

Cocoon2 abilities are due mainly to the XML model but the real
difference is the notion of orthogonal views of a resource: like I'll be
showing in my thesis (and at my ApacheCON talk), the XML model is not
able, along with the existing HTTP model, to create a semantic web.

But I'm going to show the world that resource views can change this.

And Cocoon2 CLI is the first step in this direction.

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.