cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <dona...@locus.apache.org>
Subject Re: [IT] C2 Complexity Syndrome
Date Fri, 27 Oct 2000 13:14:17 GMT
At 11:20  27/10/00 +0100, you wrote:
>On Fri, Oct 27, 2000 at 06:48:28PM +0800, Niclas Hedhman wrote:
>> I just want to Raise a Condition, that I believe exists, and is the
>> greatest threat to Cocoon's long-term survival. As soon as C2 stablizes
>> a little bit more, most of the effort must be put into "friendliness",
>> perhaps in form of presets, wizards, tools, or whatever. I believe a
>> higher-level of Configuration layer is needed, that can better be
>> communicating with configuration tools and such.

A similar thread has started on the Avalon list. While Avalon's
configuration requirements are much simpler atm I can see where both could
do with simplification.

>I'd agree with that. I've been thinking a bit about this recently,
>and two things spring to mind.
>

> 1) can we set things up so that people don't have to touch
>    the sitemap to use cocoon? A lot of what a lot of people
>    will be doing is having a few XML documents and a few
>    stylesheets to work with - having them edit a 277 (last
>    time I counted the size of the one in the default webapp)
>    line configuration file to achieve this seems a little
>    painful. One option would be to have a dramatically cut
>    down sitemap syntax which people can use if they prefer
>    - we could then (on the quiet) translate this into the
>    full syntax which we already use on more complex sites.
>    I guess this is a bit like the SiLLy logicsheet language
>    which is in the works. I wonder if what Giacomo et al were
>    talking about with being able to generate generators,
>    transformers and sitemaps with the XSP engine would help
>    here. (or does this all just make it even more complex).

This is kinda similar to what I believe Berin has been trying to do with
reworking AValons proposal configuration engine (thou I could be wrong as I
am not sure i follow it all ;]). I believe this is the answer. Making it
simple for end user is a good thing (80-20 rule and all). I guess it is
just a matter of figurting out how to do it simply and powerfully ;)

Cheers,

Pete