cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <pjdon...@cs.latrobe.edu.au>
Subject Re: [RT] Cocoon Emotional Landscapes - semantic searching
Date Tue, 17 Oct 2000 12:42:49 GMT
At 09:37  17/10/00 +0100, you wrote:
>I second that, and I'd like to add something more. I'm rapidly
>heading for paranoia regarding software patents and the like.
>I don't know about you lot, but I have a lot of ideas floating
>around that I simply don't have *time* to write down and/or
>explore. What worries me is that some commercial organisation
>could think of them in a few years time and claim them as theirs,
>which I *really* don't want to happen. Potentially world changing
>ideas should belong to *everyone* not a money making entity.
>
>Is it worth someone setting up a mailing list or something for
>just bouncing [RT]s around all day? There are a lot of visionaries
>on this list (most of the commiters for a start) and it seems to
>me that these people are just the kind of people to start such
>a list. If there's a list with all these ideas archived not only
>centrally but on a couple of thousand people's inboxes, nobody
>will be able to claim patents on anything sent to the list as
>there's already clearly a prior art.
>
>Thoughts?

Nice idea thou I am not sure how successful it will be in blocking patents.
All the major PITA patents clearly had prior art but got through. While
patents will soon (or currently are ?) forced to open up during application
stage there still needs someone to constantly watchdog them and then foot
the bill to go to court/through the process.

Some of the patents are clearly rediculous (ie nulls for terminating linked
lists is patented as is advertisements in interactive entertainmen) but
there are others less so and backed by companies willing to defend them.
Taking out those big fellas would be way to expensive a process i do
believe ;(

However I would love a list to bounce around random ideas and see where
they end up ;). Not sure what the charter for such a group would be - but
as I guess most would be re: web stuff so ??? ;)

Cheers,

Pete