cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Russell <p...@luminas.co.uk>
Subject Re: [IT] C2 Complexity Syndrome
Date Sat, 28 Oct 2000 15:23:47 GMT
On Sat, Oct 28, 2000 at 03:12:21PM +0200, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
> I define "blackboxware" some complex piece of code that is developped
> inhouse and committed when finished.
>
> The hardest and best the code is, the more harm it creates to the
> community; this is because people will rather use the software rather
> than extend it. Normally, if more than one blackboxware submission is
> donated, the community will ask for a complete refactoring. (see
> Xerces2)

Very guilty of this myself (see my first stab at the offline
stuff for cocoon2, all those months ago). The trouble is
that it's very difficult to work in small stages when you've
not got access to the source tree. I think we need to accept
that until such time as we can find a way to give people access
to develop continuously (ergo give them CVS access), it's almost
impossible for them to do anything other than produce
'blackboxware'.

Paul

Luminas Ltd.