cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Ovidiu Predescu <ovi...@cup.hp.com>
Subject Re: [C2] IBM releasing WebSphere Transcoding Publisher
Date Tue, 24 Oct 2000 22:49:50 GMT
On Tue, 24 Oct 2000 16:55:36 -0400, "Per Kreipke" <per@onclave.com> wrote:

> > Having a data source adaptor that takes
> > HTML as input and generates XML to the output should be easy to do.
>
> I have a C1 taglib which uses JTidy (HTML Tidy in Java) to do just that. It
> converts HTML pages to XHTML which can then be piped through the Cocoon
> pipeline for conversion to whatever, I suppose.

This sounds interesting. The next step would be to have a way to pinpoint the
exact element one is interested in being extracted from the XHTML page. XSLT
could do this job very well.

> Splitting it into WML cards could be difficult.

This is indeed difficult, as there are lots of factors to be considered when
doing the split. Also the resulting pages need to be augmented with information
that helps in identifying the next ones.

> > Building a
> > graphical tool to generate the input to this may be more difficult though.
>
> Do you mean something that allows you to select parts of a page for
> translation then generates the correct XSL? :-) Or something else?

Yes, that's correct. I didn't think about all the requirements of such a tool
should have, but I think it could be quite complex. Obtaining individual
elements is simple, but how about assembling more complex data structures,
possibly spanning over multiple pages?

Regards,
--
Ovidiu Predescu <ovidiu@cup.hp.com>