cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Davanum Srinivas <d...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [Xalan2] Namespaces Problem
Date Wed, 18 Oct 2000 09:17:50 GMT
Scott,

Haven't been able to test as now am getting the following exception. An old version of Xalan
works
fine. Any ideas? I won't have a chance to dig deeper into this till tomorrow. The #RTREEFAG
string
seems to be from XRTreeFrag.java. Can you please let us know?

java.lang.RuntimeException: Can not convert #RTREEFRAG to a NodeList!
           at
org.apache.xerces.framework.XMLParser.parse(XMLParser.java:917)
           at
org.xml.sax.helpers.XMLFilterImpl.parse(XMLFilterImpl.java:371)
           at
org.xml.sax.helpers.XMLFilterImpl.parse(XMLFilterImpl.java:371)

Thanks,
dims

--- Scott_Boag@lotus.com wrote:

> How's performance?  The measurements I was taking today that looked like a
> huge regression turned out to have the JIT turned off.  Damn, that's the
> second time in my life I've done that.
>
> I'm especially interested to hear if you cocoon guys can notice the
> incremental performance now.  I fixed the last bug in that respect, and you
> should see an interesting change in response time.
>
> The measurements I'm taking still show Xalan2 a bit slower than XalanJ1.
> However, I'm measuring the Xerces serializers against the old Xalan
> serializers, which I think were quite a bit faster.  Assaf's fancy layers
> may be art, but serialization is very time critical code.  A huge
> percentage of the overall profiles, like 40%, are being spent in the
> serialization layer.
>
> Anyway, I suspect *basic* transforms at the XalanJ2 level are now faster
> than XalanJ1.  But this stuff is still highly case-by-case dependent.  Many
> selection patterns will probably be a bit faster in XalanJ1, like "//foo",
> but this will improve quickly over time.  I suspect we're well on our way
> to becoming as fast or faster than other Java processor competitors.
>
> I think I'm going to give up on the optimization madness for now.  There's
> still a lot to be done, but it's time that I clear my head on this aspect
> for a few days.  I'll do some more work on optimized itterators, etc.,
> after I get back from ApacheCon.
>
> -scott

=====
Davanum Srinivas, JNI-FAQ Manager