cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Russell <p...@luminas.co.uk>
Subject Re: [RT] Cocoon Emotional Landscapes - semantic searching
Date Tue, 17 Oct 2000 08:37:00 GMT
> So, please, add this to your vision: not only Cocoon is based on open
> standards, but it's developped in the open and everybody can have it for
> free and power their systems with it without having to pay a "semantic
> web tax" to a particular commercial company.

I second that, and I'd like to add something more. I'm rapidly
heading for paranoia regarding software patents and the like.
I don't know about you lot, but I have a lot of ideas floating
around that I simply don't have *time* to write down and/or
explore. What worries me is that some commercial organisation
could think of them in a few years time and claim them as theirs,
which I *really* don't want to happen. Potentially world changing
ideas should belong to *everyone* not a money making entity.

Is it worth someone setting up a mailing list or something for
just bouncing [RT]s around all day? There are a lot of visionaries
on this list (most of the commiters for a start) and it seems to
me that these people are just the kind of people to start such
a list. If there's a list with all these ideas archived not only
centrally but on a couple of thousand people's inboxes, nobody
will be able to claim patents on anything sent to the list as
there's already clearly a prior art.

Thoughts?

Paul, looking slightly quizically at the EPO.

Luminas Ltd.