cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Ovidiu Predescu <ovi...@cup.hp.com>
Subject browser handling in C1/C2
Date Tue, 03 Oct 2000 16:02:13 GMT

Hi,

I've been reading through the C2 sources last night, looking to see how
different browser types are handled in C2. To my surprise I discovered that it
uses the same (in my opinion broken) way as C1: it determines the media type
using the user agent string passed in the HTTP request.

I was under the impression that a much cleaner way that takes into account the
Accept: header is going to replace, or at least supplement, the C1 way of
setting the content type of the result.

The reason I'm asking is because I'd like to experiment, in C1 for now, with a
different way of determining the media type, essentially based on the Accept:
header. The main motivation for doing this is to handle the explosion in the
number of WAP devices out there, each one requiring an entry in the
cocoon.properties file, clearly not a scalable solution.

The idea is to use the user agent to determine the media type or, in case this
is not present in the list of user agents, to use the Accept: header to
determine a generic one.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks,
Ovidiu