cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Ovidiu Predescu <ovi...@cup.hp.com>
Subject browser handling in C1/C2
Date Tue, 03 Oct 2000 07:05:19 GMT

Hi,

I've been reading the C2 sources this evening, looking to see how different
browser types are handled in C2. To my surprise I discovered that it uses the
same (in my opinion broken) way as C1 of assigning media types based on the
user agent string passed in the HTTP request.

I was under the impression that a much cleaner way that takes into account the
Accept: header is going to replace the C1 way of setting the content type of
the result.

The reason I'm asking is because I'd like to experiment, in C1 for now, with a
different way of determining the media type, essentially based on the Accept:
header. The main motivation for doing this is to handle the explosion of WAP
devices out there, each one requiring an entry in the cocoon.properties file,
which is clearly not a scalable solution.

The idea is to use the user agent to determine the media type or, in case this
is not present in the list of user agents, to use the Accept: header to
determine a generic one.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks,
Ovidiu