cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Marcelo F. Ochoa" <moc...@ieee.org>
Subject RE: Blocking of simultaneous requests
Date Fri, 27 Oct 2000 12:35:49 GMT
Hi,
we're using Cocoon 1.8-dev in our environment.
The pages we display, make heavy use of our database.
We just now found out that we have a major concurrency problem.
It looks like this was introduced with the private class "Block" in
org.apache.cocoon.Engine.java.
When one user requests a page (i.e. display-data.xml) and another user
requests the same page, the second request is blocked until the first one is
finished. But since the data generated in display-data.xml is dynamically
gathered from the database, the caching is not used. So, for us it looks
like this blocking mechanism does not make too much sense for dynamic data.
We now removed the whole blocking mechanism from Engine.java and our
application runs a lot faster now.
Good point!!.
I didn´t check the code of Cocoon 1.8, but if this is right could be decrease a LOT the perfomance
of DB Prism producer. This producer works as another producer for Cocoon generating the XML
content through a Stored Procedure in the DB side and the concurrence problem is problem of
the Database.

What is the correct operation of the Block class mean't to be?
Should it funtion differently when caching is and isn't enabled ?
I´ll check the code of the engine.

Thanks,
Christian
Best Regards, Marcelo.