Return-Path: Mailing-List: contact cocoon-dev-help@xml.apache.org; run by ezmlm Delivered-To: mailing list cocoon-dev@xml.apache.org Delivered-To: moderator for cocoon-dev@xml.apache.org Received: (qmail 81307 invoked from network); 1 Sep 2000 09:39:11 -0000 Received: from unknown (HELO gibgate.vcint.com) (212.22.227.3) by locus.apache.org with SMTP; 1 Sep 2000 09:39:11 -0000 Received: by gibgate.vcint.com with Internet Mail Service (5.5.2650.21) id ; Fri, 1 Sep 2000 11:39:01 +0200 Message-ID: From: Steve Allman To: "'cocoon-dev@xml.apache.org'" Subject: RE: [Cocoon Devel] RE: Dynamic XSL Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2000 11:38:55 +0200 MIME-Version: 1.0 X-Mailer: Internet Mail Service (5.5.2650.21) Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" X-Spam-Rating: locus.apache.org 1.6.2 0/1000/N I am working on a project to develop complex statistical/market research questionnaires, with all the structure, presentation and supporting metadata held in a repository. The structure and presentation would be represented by an object model and developed by designer tools. Questionnaires could then be published to the web, paper and possibly WAP via Cocoon. The challenge here is to produce XSL to drive the presentation layer. To do this via parameterised XSL seems non-evident to me - you would have to know pretty much in advance what questionnaires the user would design. It would also be a complex transformation from the object model to generate the required parameterisation. The only cleanly archeticted solution would seem to be to generate XSL from a presentation object graph. This would need to be done via a Producer. XSL would never be edited directly, it would all be generated according to an object model. Any thoughts ? Steve Allman > -----Original Message----- > From: Maddison, David [SMTP:MaddisonD@dnb.com] > Sent: 01 September 2000 10:44 > To: cocoon-dev@xml.apache.org > Subject: [Cocoon Devel] RE: Dynamic XSL > > This sounds really good, where can I get more hardcore information on > XSLT, > all the books I've picked up so far only 'skim' XSLT as part of an XML > technology, however after playing with it, I can't believe how powerfull > it > is! > > The reason I think I need XSL is because in my publishing system the style > sheet is built up using different objects. For example the page object > gets > called, which adds it's data to the XML document and then it's formatting > to > the XSL. The page object then has a list of all the objects on the page, > each one has it's chance to add it's data and then it's XSL formatting, > and > so on down the tree until all the data, and all the XSL processing > instructions have been fetch. They are then put through the reactor, > generating the final document. > > The thing is all the objects are added to pages dynamically, so for > example, > there may be a Module object on the page, there may not. In order to do > as > you suggest, and use parameters, I would have to have a stylesheet that > contained ALL the object formattings, which would be a bit of a pain in > the > butt, both to administer and code, as well as slowing down the XSLT > processor. > > On certain sheets I also have objects placed in certain positions within > the > page template. The objects are chosen based on an ID attribute, for > example > there could be 3 Module objects on the page, each containing different > contents, however they each have a unique ID attribute. I then tell the > XSLT processor where to place the Modules using the following syntax : > > > > > > > > >