cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Hans Ulrich Niedermann <niederm...@isd.uni-stuttgart.de>
Subject C2 documentation (was: [C1] The new FAQs...)
Date Mon, 18 Sep 2000 15:02:13 GMT
Stefano Mazzocchi <stefano@apache.org> writes:

> C2 will generate it's own documentation, I've been stopped by the
> compiler classpath shit for a while but I plan to have something ready
> to show soon.

How will this work btw? We were talking about migrating our docs to
Docbook in the future but Docbook XSL stylesheets won't generate the
Stylebook xml.apache.org look & feel without major additions. And I
don't have any idea of how to integrate Document DTD, Stylebook
generated pages smoothly with Docbook DTD, Docbook XSL generated
pages.

Perhaps one way to do it is to write Docbook <book>s and generate
convenient HTML pages via several XIncludes and stuff. This would
allow for printable docs as well as really fancy HTML pages with
common navigation bars and looks etc. This would of course require
some major additions to the HTML Docbook XSL stylesheets.

Talking about printable documentation: FOP still has some problems
with whitespace handling, i.e. line breaks in program listings are
ignored completely. The FO Docbook XSL stylesheets seem to be mostly
OK for our purposes (still some minor flaws that can and will be
fixed). I haven't tried other FO->PDF converters yet, though.

BTW, I have converted xdocs/sitemap.xml to Docbook using my
document2docbook.xsl stylesheet and some manual improvements. Docbook
XML and the HTML, XSL:FO and FOP-generated PDF are available from
<URL:http://n-dimensional.de/cocoon/docbook-test/> if you're
interested in this.

And last but not least, I think it may be preferrable to use
Docbook generating stylesheets instead of HTML generating stylesheets
for automatic doc creation out of taglibs, the sitemap, etc.

My last exam of this year is scheduled for Thursday week and I plan to
spend some days on creating stylesheets and converting stuff to
Docbook after that.

Uli