cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Hans Ulrich Niedermann <>
Subject C2 Error: java.lang.VerifyError
Date Thu, 14 Sep 2000 22:46:10 GMT

I keep getting NPEs with current C2 when requesting any URI within the
C2 webapps URI space. I'm still somewhat confused by the C2
architecture and all this classloader stuff, but the error seems to be
caused by some classloader issues, so the culprit may be some code
that is not finished yet.

I'm using Linux (Redhat 6.2), Sun JDK 1.2.2, Tomcat 3.1 (via Apache
1.3.12 and Tomcat 3.1 mod_jserv, but that doesn't make any
difference). If I remember correctly, this should meet all
requirements for C2. Or should I better switch to Tomcat 4, JDK 1.3,
whatever... in order to run C2?

The console Tomcat runs on says:

java.lang.VerifyError: (class: org/apache/cocoon/serialization/XMLSerializer, method: setOutputStream
signature: (Ljava/io/OutputStream;)V) Incompatible object argument for function call
        at java.lang.Class.forName(
        at org.apache.cocoon.util.ClassUtils.loadClass(
        at org.apache.cocoon.util.ClassUtils.newInstance(
        at org.apache.cocoon.sitemap.AbstractSitemap.load_component(
        at _home._uli._public_html._xml_isd_uni_stuttgart_de._software._dist._tomcat._webapps._cocoon2._sitemap_xmap.setConfiguration(

And after that the following stacktrace appears on the Tomcat console
and on the HTML page:

        at org.apache.cocoon.sitemap.SitemapHandler.process(
        at org.apache.cocoon.sitemap.SitemapManager.invoke(
        at org.apache.cocoon.Cocoon.process(
        at org.apache.cocoon.servlet.CocoonServlet.service(
        at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(
        at org.apache.tomcat.core.ServletWrapper.handleRequest(
        at org.apache.tomcat.core.ContextManager.service(
        at org.apache.tomcat.service.connector.Ajp12ConnectionHandler.processConnection(

The following is the corresponding code fragment from

848:  confBuilder.endDocument ();
849:  cconf = confBuilder.getConfiguration();
850:  serializer_config_xml = cconf;
851:  serializer_xml =
852:    (Serializer) load_component ("org.apache.cocoon.serialization.XMLSerializer", cconf);
854:  confBuilder.startDocument ();
856:  confBuilder.startPrefixMapping("","");

All C2 lib/*.jar files are symlinked into tomcat/lib and in the
classpath of the VM running Tomcat.

View raw message