cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Donald Ball <ba...@webslingerZ.com>
Subject Re: [1.8-dev patch] Global Vars in XSP - xsp:variable
Date Thu, 21 Sep 2000 18:50:24 GMT
On Thu, 21 Sep 2000, Kevin Sonney wrote:

> ESQL has given me a new outlook on life. However, the inability to pass
> <xsp:expr></xsp:expr> statements to esql has been a bit trying on one
> application I'm writing. So, in a blinding flash of "wouldn't this would
> work if I had a global var, now wouldn't it?", I added the ability to
> specify global variables in XSP, something that had been lacking.

hrm? in what sense can you not pass <xsp:expr> expressions into esql?

> With this patch, you can do the following :
>
> <xsp:sturcture>
> 	<xsp:variable>UserRecord user</xsp:variable>
> 	<xsp:variable>boolean debug = true</xsp:variable>
> </xsp:structure>
>
> FWIW, I *KNOW* we can do this with <xsp:logic> tags imediately after
> the last <xsp:structure> tag, but using <xsp:variable>, IMHO seperates
> logic from structure just that little bit further. It's also a bit
> clearer to document. Especailly since the xsp docs don't talk about
> global vars, from what I could see.

i somewhat concur here, actually, this does perhaps improve clarity. i'm
curious to see what ricardo and stefano, and naturally, we should get in
touch with matt sergeant before making any changes to the xsp namespace.
someone had mentioned being able to make an xsp-dev list just for these
issues - can that be revisited by someone with admin powers on locus?
hello?

- donald