cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Donald Ball <ba...@webslingerZ.com>
Subject Re: esql diff of the moment
Date Fri, 15 Sep 2000 17:23:27 GMT
On Fri, 15 Sep 2000, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

> > nah, i went ahead and cleaned it up more nicely. i added a new set of
> > elements that are instantiated in case of an exception:
> >
> > <esql:error-results>
> >  <message><esql:get-message/></message>
> >  <tostring><esql:to-string/></tostring>
> >  <stacktrace><esql:get-stacktrace/></stacktrace>
> > </esql:error-results>
>
> Why not use the fixed DTD that is used now in Cocoon2 for notifications?
> It's kinda standard ;-)

hmm, didn't know about it. a looong while ago i'd asked if any logicsheet
authors had given any thought to standardized error reporting. there was a
little discussion that resulted in no concrete proposal.

> And all will have to go to C2 anyway.
> Maybe I'm just plain dumb, but shouldn't all taglibs throw the same error
> DTD? (IMHO)

i'm honestly of two minds on this issue. on the one hand, standardization
is nice. on the other hand, suppose i don't always _want_ to see the
stacktrace - that isn't configurable via the C2 error DTD. also, more
importantly, suppose i want _actions_ to occur when an exception is thrown
- i can do that by adding xsp:logic elements to the esql:error-results
element. how could you do that using the C2 error DTD?

- donald