cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Donald Ball <>
Subject Re: esql diff of the moment
Date Fri, 15 Sep 2000 17:23:27 GMT
On Fri, 15 Sep 2000, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

> > nah, i went ahead and cleaned it up more nicely. i added a new set of
> > elements that are instantiated in case of an exception:
> >
> > <esql:error-results>
> >  <message><esql:get-message/></message>
> >  <tostring><esql:to-string/></tostring>
> >  <stacktrace><esql:get-stacktrace/></stacktrace>
> > </esql:error-results>
> Why not use the fixed DTD that is used now in Cocoon2 for notifications?
> It's kinda standard ;-)

hmm, didn't know about it. a looong while ago i'd asked if any logicsheet
authors had given any thought to standardized error reporting. there was a
little discussion that resulted in no concrete proposal.

> And all will have to go to C2 anyway.
> Maybe I'm just plain dumb, but shouldn't all taglibs throw the same error

i'm honestly of two minds on this issue. on the one hand, standardization
is nice. on the other hand, suppose i don't always _want_ to see the
stacktrace - that isn't configurable via the C2 error DTD. also, more
importantly, suppose i want _actions_ to occur when an exception is thrown
- i can do that by adding xsp:logic elements to the esql:error-results
element. how could you do that using the C2 error DTD?

- donald

View raw message