cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Donald Ball <ba...@webslingerZ.com>
Subject Re: new sql logicsheet!
Date Tue, 05 Sep 2000 19:18:39 GMT
On Tue, 5 Sep 2000, Sylvain Wallez wrote:

> I had this sort of problem with M$ Access that refuses getting the same
> row/column more than two or three times.
> The workaround was use a HashMap as a cache in front of
> ResultSet.getString()
>
> This behaviour is allowed by JDBC. ResultSet javadoc states "For maximum
> portability, ResultSet columns within each row should be read in
> left-to-right order and each column should be read only once."

Geez. Pardon my language, but that is simply ass.

> The problem in esql is that you can get data in a ResultSet in a number
> of different ways (get-date, get-time, get-timestamp just to mention a
> few) so the cache has to be smarter. Maybe adding a cache for
> getString() results would be enough for most cases ?

I reckon we could stick a hashtable or something in front of the
resultset, but we can't just get strings or else you won't be able to
nicely format dates or real numbers. but if we get objects instead, we
have to write our own getXXXX methods for strings, ints, reals,
etc. instead of relying on the ResultSet. hmmm...

- donald