cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Carsten Ziegeler" <cziege...@sundn.de>
Subject AW: C2: Uploader needed
Date Thu, 14 Sep 2000 14:19:26 GMT

> _I_ was going to write it as a Generator - but then we (Carsten Ziegeler)
> and I discussed this and he said (mumbling) that a "transformer" would be
> more flexible and allow us to configure the transformer (and what
> it returns
> as a result) on a per-call basis. At least that is what I think he meant
> :-). He's da man (read: chief architect) when it comes to that -
> I just code
> to relieve the frustration of managerial duties :-).
>
> But perhaps he has more to add - hey wake up Carsten!

Ups....ok,

> > At the moment we are considering an "UploadTransformer" which would
> > grab the
> > uploaded file from the HTTP stream and write that out to wherever..
>
> Wouldn't it be better to implement that on a Generator base? Could you
> explain why you want to implement it as a Transformer?

In my opinion a Generator generates xml, an Upload-"Component" instead
receives xml and stores it whereever wanted.
I thought if it is an UploadTransformer which is controlled by some elements
like e.g. the sql transformer, the upload can be embedded in any xml resource.
The UploadTransformer would find its elements, store the file and replace his
elements with his result element. (This could of course also be done by a taglib
but we *love* Transformers...)

The separation if it is a Generator or Transformer is not very easy, perhaps
it would really be better if it is an Action component. Sorry, I didn't follow
the thread so I after I woke up now, I go to the mail archive and search there....

> :-). He's da man (read: chief architect) when it comes to that -
> I just code
Hm, really? Great, than _I_ can sleep even more, if YOU code!

Regards
Carsten Ziegeler

Open Source Group              sunShine - Lighting up e:Business
www.sundn.de                           mailto:cziegeler@sundn.de