cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Per Kreipke" <...@onclave.com>
Subject RE: C2: Uploader needed
Date Thu, 14 Sep 2000 17:32:18 GMT
Well, not exactly. Of course there needs to be storage but I specifically
want to use Cocoon to avoid choosing a particular one. Maybe an example will
help.

Suppose the user authors some data in an HTML using an input form (POST).
The HTTP request comes in as a POST and I grab the text they sent. Now I
want to put it into a target data store. The address of the target store
comes from the user's session let's say. So, the final XML snippet might be:

<message>
 <storage>http://my.storage.machine/items/insert</storage>
 <subject>Today</subject>
 <author>Bill</author>
 <data>The NYSE went tumbling down.</data>
</message>

I then want to route this snippet to the storage server. I might even want
to send a copy somewhere else (say, an indexer or email gateway). Each
internal server would know what to do with the data. SQL servers would
insert the data, file stores would save the snippet to disk, etc. I'd then
be able to redirect the storage to different servers as needed, but the
_data_ (not function) contract would remain the same, no need to recode the
middle layer.

The nice bit would be that each step of the task can simply be a transform
(or multiple ones). In the example above:

- transform HTTP request to XML request format using XSL
- combine request XML with session data (XML?) to build message format above
- fork (and optionally) transform the message to the indexer
- optionally transform the message format to storage server instructions
(e.g. XQL command) and send to the storage server.

Per.

p.s. Can you say MS BizTalk anyone?