cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Ed Staub" <est...@mediaone.net>
Subject RE: [Cocoon Devel] Re: [C2] UML Class Diagram for SiteMap
Date Thu, 07 Sep 2000 14:17:32 GMT
If we can avoid dependence on tools which cost over $2000US (TogetherJ), I
think it would be a good thing.  I'm furious with TogetherSoft; they could
be doing so much to improve design process and communication, if only they'd
drop their price into a range accessible to more people.  Together is an
excellent product.

Take a look at MagicDraw; it's $300-$500US and does much (most, IMHO) of
what TogetherJ does.  Unfortunately, it currently does not have an API.
However, I know the files are in XML (XMI, to be specific); it might be
possible to generate files through XSLT, especially if NoMagic wanted to
provide more information.  A DTD is included.

I've looked at ArgoUML; it's missing too many features (for me, anyway).

-Ed Staub

-----Original Message-----
From: niclas@ns1.ewarna.com [mailto:niclas@ns1.ewarna.com]On Behalf Of
Niclas Hedhman
Sent: Thursday, September 07, 2000 3:18 AM
To: cocoon-dev@xml.apache.org
Subject: Re: [Cocoon Devel] Re: [C2] UML Class Diagram for SiteMap

Giacomo Pati wrote:

> --- Niclas Hedhman <niclas@bali.ac> wrote:
> > Generate SVG formatted UML documentation of the Sitemap on the fly???
>
> Can you explain a bit in detail, because I don't get what you want to
> see?

UML, Universal Modelling Language (or whatever :o) view of the inheritance,
associations,
patterns and so forth of the classes that are being used to execute the
Sitemap.

That means drawing small boxes with rounded corners, the lines and all that
stuff (look at
TogetherJ). This can not be done static, and would be a maintenance headache
for site
management in companies that requires this level of documentation.

I am also saying it is an incredible formidable task to achieve, but would
suck the
headlights off anything else on the market; "Automatic UML documentation of
a dynamic
system.", since I recon it should be able to include all XSP stuff as well,
via the
component links in the sitemap.

Nice if we could get Peter Coad interested, since TogetherJ is able to
generated pretty good
UML out of Java source code...

Just a outrageous idea, I guess...

Niclas