cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Robin Green" <>
Subject Fwd: [nbdev] Standalone editor(SE)
Date Fri, 15 Sep 2000 00:09:08 GMT
Sorry for off-topic post. Might be of interest as it does code completion
for Java and HTML:

--- forwarded message ---
From: Petr Nejedly <>
Subject: [nbdev] Standalone editor(SE)
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2000 18:34:21 +0200

I've hacked a simle, lightweight, Swing based text editor
which use the editor kits from NetBeans editor.
The editor itself is not dependent on the IDE, the only
thing it needs to operate is nb-editor.jar from
lib/ext of your NetBeans instalation directory.
It could be very useful for both developers and end users.

For developers, it is attractive because it could help them
in writing editor kit, and especially the kit based on
org.netbeans.editor.ext.ExtKit, when debugging
Syntax - it could save the developer a lot of time otherwise
spent restarting IDE. BTW: It starts in less than 5 secs
on 400MHz-class machine

For end users, it could be attractive if they are low on memory,
as it eats less than 20MB of RAM on Sun 64bit machine,
or as low as 14MB on Windows.

It offers nearly full functionality of in-IDE editor, including
Java and HTML Code completion (for Java completion, it could currently
handle only one parser database, so it is limited e.g. to just JDK

For the sources, building instructions and so, look for
demosrc directory under editor module:
especially the README file:

Comments, suggestions, improvements a/o patches are welcome.

Hope this will help you writing new content types editors for Netbeans

If you know about any other, publicly available, Swing based editor kit,
which we could link from the upcomming Standalone editor pages,
let me know to add the definition of such kit to the SE.

Petr Nejedly
NetBeans/Sun Microsystems