cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Robin Green" <gree...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: [1.8] Let's get this right
Date Thu, 14 Sep 2000 22:32:51 GMT
Stefano Mazzocchi <stefano@apache.org> wrote:
>You can count my +1 for him if he accepts the position.

Sure, I accept.

>I think Robin will learn on his skin how hard and frustrating the job he
>wants to do is and how useless testing is in the long run for open
>source projects... but no matter how hard I try to explain it somebody
>has to test it in practice to "get" it.

Everyone thinks, "this time it will be different" - and it's not, huh?

>Please, understand that I "happily" resign from my current leading
>position. I do not have any problem whatsoever with what Robin wants to
>do, just that I consider this almost useless (but I remember when I
>became JServ release coordinator for 1.0b and I shared Robin's vision
>completely... you just have to learn it yourself how things go)

Thanks for your understanding!

I'm still deciding on my absolute priorities for release. Actually, like
Donald, I would really like to get this out the door soon, so people stop
asking "Where's FP?" and "Where's ESQL?" and "Why doesn't create-session
work?" etc. etc. But I also want to improve the docs before release
(especially the FAQ, which will be much improved and doesn't require a
single byte of changes to stylebook.jar, contrary to what I initially
thought; and how-it-works.xml which I have just been rewriting).

Donald, read my lips, yes I AM working on the docs - I said so right at the
start of the last email but apparently you missed it!

And yes I will remember to do cvs update first! :)

>Moreover, my time will be reduced in the following months and I don't
>want to be the release bottleneck like I've been in the past few months
>(I also want to dedicate completely to get C2 finished)

"Finished"?? Open source projects are never "finished"! ;)

Seriously, that's great - I'd like to see C2 released as well.

>It's time this project stands on its own feet: it won't be insulting for
>me, rather the opposite, it will show how successful the community is
>today.
>
>And believe me, software or not, this is the most important thing this
>project has: a strong, friendly and powerful community of great people.
>
>And I'm definately proud of having been the one that started it :)

You should be!