cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Robin Green" <gree...@hotmail.com>
Subject Testers wanted for Cocoon 1.8-dev
Date Sun, 17 Sep 2000 23:34:32 GMT
Hi all,

The Cocoon project would like to enlist some "beta testers" for release 1.8,
before it is released. It would help us to ensure the quality of the release
if some people could download and test it first. Please, if you are willing
to test it, read the instructions below, and after testing, post to
cocoon-users@xml.apache.org your full configuration (OS, JDK, web server,
servlet engine - Vendors _and_ version numbers please), and whether it
worked, or any problems you encountered (that are not already known about).
Your help will be greatly appreciated!

We are aiming for a testing period of Monday to Thursday, with an official
release on Friday evening, all being well, as it was generally agreed that
1.8 is long overdue.

Changes between 1.7.4 and 1.8 are documented in changes.xml.

How to get it:

1. Download and unzip/untar Cocoon 1.8-dev, either direct from CVS or from
snapshots directory:

http://xml.apache.org/from-cvs/xml-cocoon/

2. Delete the src/org/apache/tools/doclet directory _if_ it exists (this was
left here by mistake, and will be deleted soon). This is necessary for the
next step to work.

3. Run build.sh or build.bat to generate build/cocoon.jar, the executable.
Make sure your servlet engine loads this new cocoon.jar and not your old
one!

4. Remember to update your cocoon.properties file. Cocoon.properties has
changed and any pages using the SQL taglib WILL NOT work if you leave a
1.7.4 version of cocoon.properties.

Snapshots taken after this email was sent _should_ have the ability to build
docs (build docs was broken before). However don't count on it because we
are still working on the docs. (lots of improvements still to come there!)

You may find Apache JMeter useful for simulating high loading conditions.
http://java.apache.org/

Did I mention updating cocoon.properties?

--
Robin

P.S. Hmmm... I can't remember - did I mention cocoon.properties? I'd better
say it just one more time in case anyone missed that... ;)