cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stuart Roebuck ...@adolos.com>
Subject Re: [C2] Merging pipelines into a new pipeline
Date Tue, 19 Sep 2000 16:48:05 GMT
On Tuesday, September 19, 2000, at 06:23 PM, Zvi wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Stuart Roebuck wrote:
>
> > Can anyone point me in the right direction with this little problem.  I
> > suspect there is an elegant solution in Cocoon 2, but I haven't found it in
> > my trawling of the documentation and draft sitemap documents.
> >
> > I basically want to merge the output (serialized) of two or more pipelines
> > as the input (generator) of another.
> >
> > Currently I do it by creating a dummy.xml file as the generator for a
> > pipeline containing an XSLT translator which has code of the form:
> >
> > <xsl:template match="dummy">
> >     <new-group>
> >         <xsl:apply-templates
> > select="document('http://localhost:8080/context/pipe1.xml')/group/*" />
> >         <xsl:apply-templates
> > select="document('http://localhost:8080/context/pipe2.xml')/group/*" />
> >     </new-group>
> > </xsl:template>
> >
> > This works, but it's not exactly elegant / scaleable / etc.
> >
> > If I could do something like:
> >
> >    <xsl:apply-templates select="document('cocoon://pipe1.xml')/group/*" />

> >    <xsl:apply-templates select="document('cocoon://pipe2.xml')/group/*" />

> Both solutions, look as a hack to me. Don't you think that this should be way
> to programmaticaly merge results of several pipelines at XSP and C2 Sitemap
> levels? (without internal HTTP requests, as in your example).

Yes, I completely agree.  It's a hack because:

1. The intermediate pipeline results get mapped to the outside world with
the sitemap.

2. It partially breaks the separation of code and interface (I guess this
is tied into point 1).

However, I don't see that we can merge direct from the sitemap.  I think
we should be able to generate part processed 'components' from the sitemap
and then access them as if they were local xml input files.   I also like
the comment from Neeme:

Neeme Praks wrote:
> but would it be possible to include only part of the pipeline, so we could
> get the SAX stream before serializing and when accessing from outside we
> could have a special serializer that wouldn't output anything ;-)

It clearly makes no sense to be serialising and then deserialising for
internal processing.

Does anyone know what the "resources" sitemap facility was supposed to do
/ does do?

Stuart.