cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: cvs commit: xml-cocoon/src/org/apache/cocoon Notification.java Notifier.java
Date Sat, 30 Sep 2000 00:23:26 GMT
Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

> I ask that the notification to System.out or System.err is restored.
> 1. Not all exceptions get to the user via Servlet, because of SAX problems.
> 2. When there are more than 1 exceptions (it happens all the time to me
> when coding) only the last gets notified.
>
> Nicola Ken Barozzi

Now that testosteron storms are cleared, I would like you to know that
Nicola and I talked a lot on the phone and he apologized for what he now
considers a misbehavior.

I would like to repeat to all of you what I told him:

1) nothing to apologize for: everyone of us makes mistakes, sometimes
technical, sometimes human. I like people that make mistakes more than
people that don't: the first have something to learn, they have a much
more interesting life to live.

2) development is done by committing first and asking later. This is
about release early and often since code is a thousands time more
expressive than words. CVS is there *exactly* to know who did what, why
and to be able to rollback at any time.

3) when you think something is hurting you personally, apply the "two
mails" design patter which goes

 a) write a very nasty letter telling the guy everything you think about
him and why he's such a son of a bitch and all that.

 b) instead of hitting the "send" button, hit the "delete" button
 c) start over again

You'll find out that you dissipated all your irrational energy by doing
so and you are now ready to understand what the guy had to say to you
with no negative emotions blinding you.

There first types of email are the "I think you're wrong" type, while
the second are more "I think I disagree", which is more relative, humble
and lacks of negative irrationality.

4) open source is about working under the eyes of hundreds of the best
developers in the world. There is no place where the quality of you work
is judged more strictly than in an open source environment, but code is
never important, the community is much more.

And living in a community of such people is hard, "fucking hard" if you
allow my french.

Not talking about managing it: I recently found out that managing a
group of people in a room is litterarely 'piece of cake' compared to you
crazy people scattered on this huge planet.

So people don't worry about making mistakes: as long as we are friendly
to each other, no mistake is big enough to stop us from moving
forward... and by making mistakes you learn, so don't be shy and keep up
the good work!

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.