cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: re directorygenerator on latest cvs build (25-09-00)@4
Date Mon, 25 Sep 2000 22:51:17 GMT
Sebastien Sahuc wrote:

> YAHOOOOO !!!! I'm happy not to be the only one. I'm was precisely writing
> a post explaining why IMHO something smells bad in these classlaoder
> issues and design.

There is no bad design in Catalina's classloader... the problem is
simple: a servlet engine is a damn complex beast and Cocoon2 pushes this
to the ultimate limits.

> See below for an explanation of your linkage error.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

> On 9/25/00, 11:30:56 PM, Giacomo Pati <Giacomo.Pati@pwr.ch> wrote regarding
> re directorygenerator on latest cvs build (25-09-00)@4:
>
> > Giacomo Pati wrote:

> > lot
> > 'synchronized'
> > kind:

> > 'build

> > put
> > Servlet

> > > Yes, I know how it should be, but at the moment it seems not to run
> > that
> > > way (almost not for me) because of a ClassLoader problem in catalina.
> > > Have you got it running?
>
> > The above happens when I run catalina out of the ../dist/tomcat-4.0
> > directory.
>
> > If I use the ../build/tomcat-4.0 directory there is still something
> > wrong with the sitemap engine.
> > The logs/catalina.out tells me something about
>
> > java.lang.LinkageError: Class org/xml/sax/Attributes violates loader
> > constraints
> >         at
> > _cvs._build._tomcat_4_0._webapps._cocoon._sitemap_xmap.setConfiguration(
> > _sitemap_xmap.java:519)
> >         at
> > org.apache.cocoon.sitemap.SitemapHandler.run(SitemapHandler.java,
> > Compiled Code)
> >         at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java, Compiled Code)
>
> > and the error notifier tells me something totally different ?!
>
> Basicaly you're getting this error because you have Xerces in too many
> places :
> One in your System classpath and another time in your web-inf/lib of your
> web application (currently cocoon2).

This shouldn't make any difference since the classpath passed to javac
has the local classpath (web-inf/lib) *before* the system classpath.

> So by removing the Xerces jar from your web-inf/lib, you should be able
> to make cocoon2 works again ... (though your XSP pages won't compile
> because of missing DOM and SAX packages...)

How come everything works smoothly on my system? Did you clean your
lib/ext directory?

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.