cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Date Wed, 20 Sep 2000 23:42:26 GMT
Sebastien Sahuc wrote:

> WAS Online wrote :
>
> > Since then I really was not able to get cocoon to work again... I really
> > feel kind of dump.
> > please tell me it is not my fault. the error message i get is:
>
> Not your fault, don't worry 'WAS Online' :-)
>
> >  org.apache.cocoon.components.language.LanguageException: Error
> > compiling _sitemap_xmap:
> > Line 0, column 0:
> > /usr/local/tomcat/work/localhost_8080%2Fcocoon/_usr/_local/_tomcat/_weba
> > pps/_cocoon/_sitemap_xmap.java:11:
> > Class org.apache.avalon.Configurable not found in import.
> > import org.apache.avalon.Configurable;
> >        ^
>
> > i am pretty sure i have that avalon thing and everything else in the
> > tomcat classpath.
>
> Indeed, I believe the lastest change for making the perfect catalina
> integration broke something into the Engine :
>
> in the JavaLanguage it used to set the compiler classpath with the System
> classpath (throught System.getProperty("java.class.path") ) whereas in
> the last version, it takes the classpath from the property set by the
> Servlet.init which in most case is null (when not used behind Catalina,
> or when using the command line option).
>
> It would be easy to fix it by adding the System classpath, but I believe
> that Stephano has removed this on purpose and I do understand him (you
> should not use the system classpath since you're in a servlet engine
> environment). The problem then arises with the command line option and
> when the Servlet container deals with more ClassLoader issues ( I know
> some Servlet container that might not be flexible enough to permits the
> nice drag and drop feature of the whole cocoon war :-( )

Exactly, for now C2 works ONLY with Tomcat 4.0-dev (aka catalina).

The problem is there is no easy way to fix this due to compiler problems
with classloaders :/

yes servlet containers mostly suck on classloading issues, but for now
there is not much I can do (maybe allow JavaLanguage to use the system
classpath instead? any suggestion?)

[btw, my name is Stefano :)]

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.