cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [C2] Merging pipelines into a new pipeline
Date Tue, 19 Sep 2000 22:56:35 GMT
Paul Russell wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 19, 2000 at 01:42:49PM +0000, Ross Burton wrote:
> > Why not? We were going to write a really cool URL handler at some point
> > anyway (for jar: cvs: class: nfs: etc), is it possible to write a new
> > URL Resolver to plug into Xalan/Xerces so that XSL files can access
> > files via these new URL schemes?
>
> Ideally, it would make sense for it to be implemented as a
> URLStreamHandler, but there is a slight, uh, oddity in the java
> API for such things - you can only specify a URLStreamHandlerFactory
> once per VM (which is stupid, in my opinion, but there we go)
> which means that if a servlet engine or application server has
> already set a URLStreamHandlerFactory, cocoon can't. The only
> way around this that I can think of is to have some kind of
> extra-sun API for URL handling, or to tyr and get something
> through the JCP. Thoughts people?

There is two ways you can tacke this:

1) use your own URL class (which does your own parsing and wraps around
the underlying java.net.URL class)

2) set the system property that lists the package names used by the
default URLStreamHandlerFactory to get the protocols... it's sort of URL
classpath and it's totally undocumented (but it's there if you look at
the source)... in JDK 1.1 you couldn't set properties, but in JDK 1.2+
you can... but this is a hack and it not guaranteed to work on non-Sun
jvms and in sandboxed secure enviornments (which prevent, of course,
servlets from setting system properties)

But I agree (I've already said this several times) that internal
redirection and aggregation capabilities are a must for C2.... I just
have to visualize a way of doing it that appears both elegant and
feasible... (even if I admit the cocoon: is still worth considering)

My whiteboard is full of diagrams about data aggregation, layout/style
separation, internal sitemap redirection and xlink translation.... but
the picture is still too fuzzy to be expressed...

Stay tuned for a RT coming soon...

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.