cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [C1] The new FAQs...
Date Mon, 18 Sep 2000 17:27:50 GMT
ross.burton@mail.com wrote:

> From: "Stefano Mazzocchi" <stefano@apache.org>
>
> >For C2 "Command Line Edition" :) you can have a SplittingSerializer
> that
> >does that and forget about XSLT extentions (which are not portable
> across
> >implementations), but for now... no way.
>
> How would this splitting serializer work?  If I was splitting
> a long file into sections (say, 20 questions each) how would
> the serializer put page numbers, prev and next links etc in the
> document?

No, no way, you need FOP for that stuff.

> I can't see how a transformer would do it cleanly,
> either.

No, my point was: if you have something like

 <element doc:file="doc-1.html" xmlns:doc="someURI"/>

you could write a reactive serializer that would use this namespaced
information to separate the pages into different documents. Sort of like
XT extentions but removed from the XSLT realm (where they don't really
happen to live, IMO)

Just a random thought anyway, I'm sure there are tons of problems in
this approach.

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.