cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <>
Subject Re: [C2] Caching, target JDK and forgetful developers..
Date Thu, 14 Sep 2000 22:32:13 GMT
Paul Russell wrote:
> Hi all,
> There've been a number of people talking on the list in recent
> weeks about C2s caching (or rather lack of caching). This evening,
> I had one of those bursts of enthusiasm and thought I'd look at
> implementing it. Before I do, though, I just wanted to give
> people a heads up, check nobody else is already doing it, and
> ask a couple of questions.
> Firstly, I've forgotten which JDK we're targetting at now, am
> I safe to use SoftReference etc? (i.e are we jdk1.2 happy?)

Yes, even if consider that SoftReferences have a problem: when the GC
runs wipes out all the memory... so you might want to fragment the cache
into a number of different soft-referenced stores.
> Secondly, what kind of architecture do we want to use for
> caching in cocoon2? There is already a 'Store' interface in
>, which looks like it fills
> the requirements of a cache. Was this interface origionally
> conceived for this purpose? Are there any reasons not to use
> it?

No, that's exactly the reason why it's there :)

Anyway, please go on.

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.