cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: WEB-INF classloading and on the fly compilation
Date Thu, 14 Sep 2000 22:30:29 GMT
Stuart Roebuck wrote:

> Stefano
>
> Can I quote your:
>
> > We are in deep shit, then. I'm serious.
>
> You see, this Cocoon business is just getting *far* too popular.  I really
> don't think it's good to let too many people out there get hold of such
> powerful stuff.  Perhaps if I quote this in a few prominent places it will
> put people off and you'll be able to re-subscribe to cocoon-users! 8-)

Oh, c'mon, if you need PR people to filter my technical comments you
don't deserve to be on this list :)

And taking words out of context is harmful, I'm sure you know that.

Anyway, let's reshape the "deep shit" into something less devastating
for our precious managers:

you will not be able to drop a single war file into Catalina as planned
and make XSP compilation work. You'll have to copy the libraries into
Catalina's ./lib directory.

Is this better? :)

Anyway, while you might not give a shit about this (in fact, all of you
have been doing this with Cocoon1 with not so many problems), the whole
notion of server side compilation is screwed (even JSP!!!)

I'm recharging my batteries to run over the JCP and propose a new Java
Compilation API that would enforce the compilation facilities we need,
but this will take ages.

Before this happens, the alternative is to write our own compiler... but
I have an idea that could solve the problem and make some people
happy....

More on this later.

Anyway I repeat:

COCOON2 WILL BE FINE: YOU'LL JUST HAVE TO COPY A FEW JARs INTO ANOTHER
DIRECTORY FOR INSTALLATION ON CATALINA AND THE ONE-DROP WAR INSTALLATION
WON'T WORK UNLESS WE WRITE A JAVA COMPILER THAT USES CLASSLOADING
CAPABILITIES.

Is this clear enough?

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.