cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Engine patches and performance
Date Fri, 08 Sep 2000 23:39:46 GMT
Robin Green wrote:

> >We're also working on a proper persistent cache, though serialization is
> >posing a problem . . . any one done any work in this domain???
>
> Not actual work - but check the recent cocoon-users thread on "64 limit" and
> "Aha! Got it! 64k limit" for some ideas about "XML bytecode" (!) :-) That
> should have been moved to cocoon-dev but it started on cocoon-users and sort
> of stuck there.

I wish I had more time to test new things... damn it...

Yeah, I think that "SAX Bytecode" could also reduce file sizes of orders
of magnitude... if we use an entropy coding of some sort (hufmann trees
or LZ77 might do the job) and we design the coding weights based
schemas... then pass it thru a Barrow-Wheeler transform... sheesh, it
could blow BZIP away and even XMill.

In fact XMill does some sort of XML compilation before compression.

Anyway, the usual late night (very) random thoughts.. tonight on data
compression (one of my oldest favorite research field)

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.