cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sebastien Sahuc <ssa...@imediation.com>
Subject Re: re loading of classes in tomcat 3.2b4 is _sloooooow_@6
Date Mon, 25 Sep 2000 21:58:48 GMT
I'm crossposting the mail to cocoon-dev and tomcat-dev, sorry for the
annoyance.

"Craig R. McClanahan" wrote :

> Sebastien Sahuc wrote:

> > Same with Catalina .... :-(

> > Any hint on why is it so slow to start the Catalina ?
> >

> I don't remember if 3.2 does this, but Catalina logs when it starts and
> stops
> initializing the random number generator.  It would be interesting to
> find
> out if that is the issue or not for you.  By the way, this is done once
> per
> webapp (they use independent RNGs) so the number of different webapps
> you
> have defined matters.

I have exactly one webapp which is cocoon2. Cocoon2 comes as a big WAR
file, and the more a remove -unecessary- jar files from web-inf, the
faster is the application startup and smoother is the whole running.
I also noticed that having only one Xerces parser (in system classpath)
for both cocoon2 webapp and catalina improves notably the average
performance and memory footprint...
I don't have exact figures but we should start now to be aware of these
libraries sharing and Classloader issues.

So the first question would be : when an application share common library
(say DOM and sax packages), what are the benefits of delivering the war
Webapp file with the web-inf/lib conataining the duplicated library (for
cocoon the shared libraries are Xerces (since catalina can works with
it), tools.jar (which is 4mg big!), jndi.jar, etc ...)

Thanks for any reply,

Sebastien

> On JAR files, which JARs in particular are causing you grief?  If I knew
> that
> I could investigate the same scenarios you guys are seeing.

> > Sebastien
> >

> Craig