cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Giacomo Pati <pati_giac...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: re problem with xalan1 and namespaces@8
Date Tue, 19 Sep 2000 10:24:58 GMT

--- Sebastien Sahuc <ssahuc@imediation.com> wrote:
> Giacomo wrote :
> > I've done some testings too and found that DOM support is somehow
> > lacking in Xalan2 and this is extremely needed in the XSP engine.
> SAX
> > support seems to be ok for Transformers so far.
>
> So it won't be a problem to use Xalan 2 inside XSP. Indeed you just
> need
> to produce SAX events from a Dom tree when feeding the source to the
> XSL
> processor, and then build the result DOM  tree from generated SAX
> events.
> Does it make sense ?

Wouldn't that be overkill?

> By the way, why don't we get rid of these DOM tree in XSP ? Indeed
> it's
> just a matter of transforming XML source though couple of
> transformers
> don't you think ?

Because of the way XSP works. In the input XML document you may have
processing-instruction telling the XSP engine which logicsheet to apply
next. The resulting document may have other processing-instructions
generated from the former logicsheet (logicsheets depending on other
logicsheets). Thus the resulting documents has to be instected by the
XSP engine to evaluate and apply them, and so forth. And this is IMHO
best done with DOM.

Giacomo

=====