cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Marc van Kempen <m...@bowtie.nl>
Subject Re: [vote] 1.8 release proposal
Date Tue, 19 Sep 2000 08:29:56 GMT
> Marc van Kempen wrote:
> >
> > > Okay, how about this for a schedule: (too formal, I know!) If anyone wants
> > > to change it, better make it quick!
> > >
> > > * I'll commit what I've done so far on the FAQ tomorrow (Saturday), plus
> > > some other minor changes. Unlike weekdays I can stay online for free all the
> > > time at weekends, so I'll be able to get more done online.
> > >
> > > * Feature freeze 00:00 GMT (not BST) Monday - i.e. no new features, only
> > > minor bugfixes and doc improvements
> > >
> > > * Around the same time I'll send emails to cocoon-users and cocoon-dev
> > > asking for testers to download from CVS and test, and report back what
> > > configuration they have and whether there were any problems. Testing period
> > > will be four days, Monday to Thursday. Clearly users who want to be more
> > > cautious can wait a while and read cocoon-users to discover anything that
> > > comes up after release. I'm not planning to do significant testing myself,
> > > but, if no-one else bothers - well, we can live with it.
> > >
> > Hi Robin,
> >
> > Why not prepare a testrelease? It'll be less work for people to test and
> > you want to make the threshold as low as possible in order to get enough
> > people to test this.
>
> No, I tried this, it doesn't work.
>
> Let's just do the release and continue fix the bugs as they appear.
>
> The wise programmer know that 'beta is a state of mind' and 'final is
> for their managers to sleep well'.
>
> Real man do 'release -> find bug -> fix bug' and loop around it.

No Real men don't cry, but while the other real men are looping around
their bugs, what I essentially propose is to just prebuild whatever the
real men came up with, sort of like nightly builds.

> Alpha and beta should be enforced only when major rewriting take place,
> which is clearly not the case for Cocoon 1.8-dev.

Then don't call it alpha/beta, but call it ,,prebuilt cvs test release'' :)

Regards,
Marc.

!!!! Wij zijn verhuisd! Onze telefoonnr's en   !!!!!
!!!! ons adres zijn gewijzigd.		       !!!!!
Marc van Kempen
BowTie Technology
Raiffeisenstraat 7
5611 CH  Eindhoven