cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Russell <p...@luminas.co.uk>
Subject [C2] Caching, target JDK and forgetful developers..
Date Thu, 14 Sep 2000 18:31:23 GMT
Hi all,

There've been a number of people talking on the list in recent
weeks about C2s caching (or rather lack of caching). This evening,
I had one of those bursts of enthusiasm and thought I'd look at
implementing it. Before I do, though, I just wanted to give
people a heads up, check nobody else is already doing it, and
ask a couple of questions.

Firstly, I've forgotten which JDK we're targetting at now, am
I safe to use SoftReference etc? (i.e are we jdk1.2 happy?)

Secondly, what kind of architecture do we want to use for
caching in cocoon2? There is already a 'Store' interface in
org.apache.cocoon.components.store, which looks like it fills
the requirements of a cache. Was this interface origionally
conceived for this purpose? Are there any reasons not to use
it?

Thoughts, and comments?

Paul
Luminas Ltd.