cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Giacomo Pati <pati_giac...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [C2]Access control using sitemap
Date Wed, 13 Sep 2000 08:42:12 GMT

--- Zvi <thezvi@ifrance.com> wrote:
> Hi Giacomo,
>
> I finally  got your example,
> you using custom transformer, which trasforms and include specified
> document in
> the position specified by parameter.
> Except that this require to write custom transformer.

What's wrong with writing custom transformers? You said you use XSP and
this is writing a custom sitemap component anyway. A transformer is in
no way only applying a stylesheet using XSLT. Many weeks ago there was
a discussion about using XSP to write custom transormers and I think
Ricardo has take this need seriously into account by it's design of the
new C2 XSP engine (it's not able to do it now but C2 is still a moving
target so anything may happen).

> It's also
> wasting
> performance.

C'mon, where does my example waste more CPU cycles that yours? Do you
agree that both examples needs to generate the included XSP sitebars?
But your example additionally wants to cache the SAX event produced by
an XSP page which already _is_ a cached form of SAX events.

> What I mean, by my first example is:
> 1. Transform sitebar.xml with sitebar.xsl and cache the result SAX
> events.
> 2. Transform footer.xml with footer.xsl and cache the result SAX
> events.
> 3. Do regular XSLT with the source document, which will get two
> previous
> results as named parameters.

I always totally understud your example but I still don't see the need
to bother sitemap admins with another construct in the sitemap for
defining variables.

But maybe _I_ am to much fixed on the C2 architecture. I would be
interested to read other peoples oppinion about this.

Giacomo

=====