cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Steve Muench" <smue...@us.oracle.com>
Subject Re: Content view separation... are we making a mess? ;-)
Date Tue, 19 Sep 2000 16:14:58 GMT
| > 3) XSLT uses XPath while XSP 1.1 will use taglibs names.
|
| I'm not sure of the difference of XSLT element extensions and taglibs.
| They look like basically the same thing to me.  Can someone point me to the
| proper description of a taglib?

I thought Stefano and others agreed a long time back
that from the taglib *users* point of view, the model
for someone using an XSP-LogicSheet-generated
tag library in an XML document and using an
XSLT extension element were semantically equivalent.

We agreed at the time that XSP Logicsheet could be
viewed as a clever mechanism for helping developers
build new libraries of these tags for a larger audience
of other developers to reuse. In effect, one of many
ways to build extension element *implementations*, but
one that makes doing such more productive for the
taglib *developers*.

As I reiterated in a mail a few weeks back, when I
see messages on the cocoon-dev list along the lines of:

 "Maybe we should just add a <xsp:for-each> that
  works like the XSLT <xsl:for-each>"

  (not a direct quote, but you get the spirit)

then it keeps reiterating to me that the user-experience
of using taglibraries in XSP pages -- that is, orthogonal
to the experience for taglib *developers* -- should be
converged with XSLT extension elements. If this is not
possible, we should short-list the problems that prevent
it from happening and as Scott said, take this list
of changes into the working group as a proposal.

BC4J & XSQL Servlet Development Teams, Oracle Rep to XSL WG
Author "Building Oracle XML Applications", O'Reilly
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/orxmlapp/