cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Nicola Ken Barozzi" <nicola...@supereva.it>
Subject Re: Update/sample for calendar...
Date Wed, 06 Sep 2000 20:35:42 GMT
----- Original Message -----
From: "Donald Ball" <balld@webslingerZ.com>
To: <cocoon-dev@xml.apache.org>
Sent: Wednesday, September 06, 2000 9:24 PM
Subject: Re: Update/sample for calendar...

> On Wed, 6 Sep 2000, John Morrison wrote:
>
> > Think the expanded version (below) is a good idea.  But what do you
> > mean by shortest time unit (e.g. date)?  How would you display one
> > month?  Could you specify a start month and an end month or duration (ie
> > 5 months)?
>
> the shortest time unit is just that - the shortest time unit that you care
> about. let's see, example. our month view could be configured:
>
> <calendar:get-calendar>
>  <calendar:start-date>01-01-2000 00:00:00</calendar:start-date>
>  <calendar:stop-date>01-31-2000 00:00:00</calendar:stop-date>
>  <calendar:shortest-unit>date</calendar:shortest-unit>
>  <calendar:display-unit>date</calendar:display-unit>
>  <calendar:display-unit>week_of_month</calendar:display-unit>
>  <calendar:display-unit>month</calendar:display-unit>
>  <calendar:display-unit>year</calendar:display-unit>
> </calendar:get-calendar>
>
> to generate
>
> <year value="2000">
>  <month value="1">
>   <week value="1">
>    <date value="1"/>
>    <date value="2"/>
>    <date value="3"/>
>    <date value="4"/>
>    <date value="5"/>
>    <date value="6"/>
>    <date value="7"/>
>   </week>
>   <week value="4">
>    <date value="31"/>
>   </week>
>  </month>
> </year>
>
> but a hourly view of a single day could be configured:
>
> <calendar:get-calendar>
>  <calendar:start-date>01-01-2000 00:00:00</calendar:start-date>
>  <calendar:stop-date>01-01-2000 23:59:59</calendar:stop-date>
>  <calendar:shortest-unit>hour</calendar:shortest-unit>
>  <calendar:display-unit>date</calendar:display-unit>
>  <calendar:display-unit>hour</calendar:display-unit>
> </calendar:get-calendar>
>
> to generate:
>
> <date value="1">
>  <hour value="0"/>
>  <hour value="1"/>
> </date>
>
> i honestly can't tell whether it would be better to try to tackle a
> generic calendar this way or whether it would be better to just provide
> methods to generate calendar views in the way most people would want to
> see them (year view, month view, week view, day view, etc.)
>
> - donald
>
> > I was also thinking about attempting to parse/retrieve the calendar data
> > from Outlook (M$ I know but work must...) or another PIM?
>
> good luck. i'll be curious to see what you turn up. i've had good success
> extracting data from GNOME applications since they almost exclusively use
> nice well-formed XML for their file formats (gzip compressed, natch), but
> i don't hold out much hope for m$ products.

Maybe you already know it, but there's a standard 4 calendars, and a new
iCalendar or something like that now. M$ is using the older standard, and it's
very easy to read. You should find enough info on the net.
Jetspeed (xml.apache.org/jetspeed) has it integrated I guess; I heard they want
to build the new Jetspeed on Cocoon, maybe you can collaborate. :-)

Ciao,
nicola_ken