cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Carsten Ziegeler" <cziege...@sundn.de>
Subject AW: cvs commit: xml-cocoon/src/org/apache/cocoon/xml/xlink XLinkConsumer.java XLinkHandler.java
Date Fri, 25 Aug 2000 10:37:39 GMT
> From donaldp@mad.scientist.com
>
> Well it is a common pattern I use in my software development
> when the end user is not as technically literate as
> developer but still has to compose out of multiple
> components.
>
> For instance take the component BouncingBean. It has one
> parameter - how high it bounces. I could give the end user
> one class that allowed them to parametize it. Alternatively
> I could give them 4 components, BouncingBean (which is
> abstract), HighBouncingBean, MediumBouncingBean and
> LowBouncingBean. If you design the original BouncingBean
> well enough and analyse usage cases then it ends up being
> much easier for end user to use.
>
> I haven't followed this thread but I am sure you could apply
> a similar pattern to different stages in pipeline. Your end
> users will love you for it - if you design it well -
> otherwise they will be at yourthroat to make
> MediumHighBouncingBean :)

I agree that this is in some cases a posibility. But by using this pattern the developer specifies
and has to know about all possible uses of the component. The end user can only choose between
a given set. There is no chance of a configuration by the end user. For each new configuration
you need a developer

In my opinion the aditional parameter configuration of components in the pipeline is a good
choice to specify request dependent values (which must of course be understoodable by the
end user).
The request dependent configuration is exactly at that place in the sitemap where the pipeline
for this request is specified and nowhere else.
The working alternative would be a growing amout of components of the same class. One would
loose the relation between the request specific configuration and the request itself.

Regards
Carsten Ziegeler

Open Source Group              sunShine - Lighting up e:Business
www.sundn.de                           mailto:cziegeler@sundn.de