cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Ed Staub" <est...@mediaone.net>
Subject RE: XSLT and namespaces: two different planets
Date Fri, 25 Aug 2000 00:30:07 GMT
Stefano,

I don't understand...

clearly you didn't really move the page, just changed the namespace prefix
in this context.

Is the issue that the prefix in the stylesheet has to change if a matching
_source_ prefix changes?  I don't believe this is true; namespaces are
matched on the URI, not the prefix.  I haven't checked this to be positive
that it's implemented correctly in Xalan, but I bet it is.  The XPath spec
is pretty clear; in section 2.3: "A node test that is a QName is true if and
only if the type of the node (see [5 Data Model]) is the principal node type
and has an expanded-name equal to the expanded-name specified by the QName."
("Expanded name" is local part + URI.

Is the issue that the prefix in the stylesheet has to change if a matching
destination prefix changes?  This can be dodged with <xsl:namespace-alias>,
assuming it works correctly.

Or, in door #3... did I miss your point entirely?

-Ed Staub

-----Original Message-----
From: Stefano Mazzocchi [mailto:stefano@apache.org]
Sent: Thursday, August 24, 2000 2:32 PM
To: Cocoon; Scott Boag
Subject: XSLT and namespaces: two different planets

I got my hands dirty with SAX2 and, man, I love their namespace support,
it's great, clean, perfect, just fits perfectly with what I need.

Then I look at XSLT and, hmmm, their level of namespace support isn't
quite what I like... ok, let's make an example:

 <my:page xmlns:my="http://myhost.com/mystuff">
 </my:page>

How would a "normal" person access this in XSLT? simple

 <xsl:template match="my:page">
 </xsl:template>

All right (I know you already smell the problem, but keep going) then I
move my page to

 <my-stuff:page xmlns:my-stuff="http://myhost.com/mystuff">
 <my-stuff:page>

because I found that that the "my" prefix is used in another (and more
famous) schema.

Great, while good behaving SAX2 applications don't give a damn since the
"page" element is correctly interpreted (in memory) as

 http://myhost.com/mystuff^page

no matter what prefix is used (as the namespace spec rules), in XSLT...
well, I honestly don't know.

Please help, the XPath spec is not very clear about this.

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.