cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Robin Green" <gree...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: [C2] ClassLoader issues
Date Thu, 31 Aug 2000 18:15:53 GMT
Stefano Mazzocchi <stefano@apache.org> wrote:
>Robin Green wrote:
> >
> > Giacomo Pati <pati_giacomo@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > >I've never understud why JSP is able to compile and load classes out of
> > >WEB-INF/lib but XSP does not?
> >
> > Funny, I was racking my brains over this just today. Spooky!
> >
> > It's because XSP compiler gets the classpath from System.getProperty
> > ("java.class.path") IIRC, and Tomcat doesn't change the system property
> > reflect its own internal classpath. Maybe that would be the solution -
>but
> > I'm not sure whether mucking around with predefined system properties is
> > allowed, safe or sensible.
> >
> > So I would suggest an addition to the Servlet API as a cleaner solution
>-
> > and I know Stefano is/was on the Servlet expert group, so I'm not
>talking to
> > thin air! :-)
>
>Please, give me more precisie indications of what you mean.

I mentioned this in another email on C-users: Maybe the Servlet API should
have a method to get a classpath from the servlet engine, which would be
useful e.g. for XSP compilation and XSP class loader purposes. Perhaps this
classpath would be a list of directories and jars on the local filesystem,
or perhaps it would be a list of URIs. Or maybe two methods, one for each
alternative. The file list would be more useful in the case of javac.