cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Timm, Sean" <ST...@mailgo.com>
Subject RE: Re[2]: cocoon and visual age
Date Thu, 24 Aug 2000 06:20:05 GMT
roman seidl [mailto:rse@pvl.at] wrote:
> In Xalan I get two errors (after also importing the bsf.jar - is
> there a source version of it?):
>
> org.apache.xalan.xslt.ResultTreeFrag  1 Errors, 0 Warnings
>         Must implement the inherited abstract method boolean
> org.w3c.dom.Node.hasAttributes()
>
> org.apache.xalan.xslt.extensions.Nodeset$RootNode  1 Errors,
> 0 Warnings
>         Must implement the inherited abstract method boolean
> org.w3c.dom.Node.hasAttributes()
> this seems to be the same problem twice - maybe it was forgotten to
> implement these methods? or are the classes not used anyway?

hasAttributes was missing or added or something to the DOM2 stuff.  This
caused a couple of things to break.  It sounds like you may be using a
version of Xalan where it wasn't fixed yet.  I believe it's fixed in the CVS
archive.  They're gearing up to kick out a new release, so if you don't want
to pull it from CVS, you can wait a bit...

> After this i tried to include fop. But when i imported fop it produced
> a lot (445) of errors and is saw it needed some jar files to
> run. i imported
> the w3c.jar file which is some extension to the dom interface and had
> 45 errors in xerces and 253 in fop. also the fact that this
> package contains
> classes in a package (org.w3c.events) also contained in
> xerces is a problem
> with visaul age as it allows only for one project per package
> (so these classes
> are then contained in the xerces package). Is there a
> complete DOM interface
> that can be used with all apache products?

I remember having this problem, but the solution is a bit fuzzy.  I believe
I created a W3C project, imported the w3c jar from FOP, and then imported
any remaining w3c classes (that weren't included in the other import) from
Xerces.  However, it's possible (and maybe more likely) that I may have
imported everything from Xerces first, and then imported the necessary
leftovers from the w3c.jar in FOP.  I don't know if there is a complete DOM
interface or not...just dink with it according to the two suggestions I
mentioned, and it'll start working eventually.

You may have trouble getting all of the latest released versions of
everything to work together.  I've been much more successfuly working off of
the CVS repositories for various pieces.  FOP may also be one of those
you'll want to grab out of CVS if you want it to play nice with the latest
Xerces.

The errors you showed for Xerces and Xalan could easily be related to how
you were handling importing the w3c stuff.  I'd highly suggest trying my
second suggestion first :) (ie. import the w3c from Xerces, and then grab
the leftovers).  Get Xalan from CVS or wait for the next release.

FOP dynamically generates classes from XSLT during the Ant build, so for
FOP, I highly recommend building the FOP source with Ant, and then importing
the resultant jar file.  You're not going to get very far trying to import
the source manually.  Once again, I'd recommend grabbing FOP from CVS.

That'll take you to about the extent of my usefulness on the subject, but I
may have something to add if you have any other problems.  IBM has an
article about importing Tomcat into VisualAge that may help you out some
when you get to that stage...I can't remember the URL off the top of my
head, but root around VisualAge Developer's Domain, and you should find it.

Hope I was of some help!

- Sean T.