cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Brian May <...@snoopy.apana.org.au>
Subject Re: [Cocoon Devel]Is Cocoon2 caching implemented?
Date Tue, 01 Aug 2000 22:30:00 GMT

    Berin> Jon Lancelle wrote:
    >> Do you think such an implementation will eventually be a part
    >> of Cocoon 2?

    Berin> I'm positive, it is a matter of time.

    Berin> For non-dynamic pages we have more than 100-fold
    Berin> performance increase for the reward--definitely worth it.

What is the plan for static files? According to the documentation, I
have read "To be able to put most of the static part job back on the
web server (where it belongs), Cocoon2 will greatly improve it's
command line operation, allowing the creation of site makefiles that
will automatically scan the web site and the source documents and will
provide a way to regenerate the static part of a web site (images and
tables included!) based on the same XML model used in the dynamic
operation version."

However, wouldn't this make caching redundant?

Personally, my major concern for Cocoon 1 (and so far Cocoon 2), is
that static web pages do not have the http "Last-Modified"
header. This means that proxy http caches like squid will not cache
the page, meaning it has to be re-down-loaded every time you access
it, even if you only accessed it five minutes ago...

I hope that one day, Cocoon2 will be able to create static HTML files
(where practical), so that the web-server is responsible for
generating these headers again.

Then again, I have encountered this problem even for
http://xml.apache.org/. It was my impression that this web site used
static HTML pages???
--
Brian May <bam@snoopy.apana.org.au>