cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: C2 XSP SQL taglib
Date Wed, 30 Aug 2000 23:46:22 GMT
Donald Ball wrote:

> On Wed, 30 Aug 2000, Giacomo Pati wrote:
>
> > > tricky bits will be in the get-xml template, which invokes >
> > this.xspParser > to get a DOM object, and the get-columns template,
> > which manipulates > the > internal xsp DOM objects directly (since you
> > cannot create elements > using > straight-up XSP whose names you don't
> > know at compile time).
> >
> > Wasn't there a <xsp:element> and <xsp:attribute> for that?
>
> Ahem. I quote from the documentation:
>
> The <xsp:element> tag (which requires a name attribute) is used in those
> cases where the element name is known at compile time, but its attribute
> values are not.
>
> i'd argue this is a failing in xsp, not to have this functionality
> built-in...

Interesting. I've been discussing with Ricardo a lot about this and I
could not come up with a reasonable suggestion of something that
required this functionality....

But I'm open to change this for XSP 1.1 if you provide me with such
meaningful example.

To me, a compiled time element and attribute names means that you are
looking for semantic troubles because you loose the contract between you
and the stylesheet (unless, the stylesheet was written to use all
possible cases of the result of the dynamic element name).

Example:

 <xsp:element>

<xsp:element-name><xsp:expr>System.currentTimeMillis()</xsp:expr></xsp:element-name>
  <xsp:element-value>Hello!</xsp:element-value>
 </xsp:element>

will generate something like

 <4847099857984>Hello!</4847099857984>

How can you transform something like this?

Ok, this is a pretty dense example, but this is a general thing: you
don't want to let hooks for people to mess around with the XML schema
which is your only contract with the rest of the pipeline stages.

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.