cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Would like to contribute
Date Sat, 26 Aug 2000 11:11:54 GMT
Donald Ball wrote:

> On Fri, 25 Aug 2000, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
>
> > > nope - i vote for making a xml-cocoon-contrib repository - we can be much
> > > freer with commit access to it than the main repository.
> >
> > "strong" -1: this will have too many "political" implications since each
> > commit access requires a new shell account on locus and this is no good.
> >
> > But in the future (hopefully soon) this will change and we will
> > reconsider things.
> >
> > For now #1 is the only viable solution, believe me.
>
> well, okay then. i'm sorry to say it, though, it sure seems like
> sourceforge has a certain advantage in the tools department.

It sure does, my friend, and believe me, there is nothing to be happy
about and this is one of the cause of friction in the ASF board: Brian
Behlendorf has been talking about the creation of the Tigris
infrastructure for a long time... and you know how these things go: you
don't want to work on something that is probably going to be duplicated
by people you respect and know they'll do a good job.... but it's taking
forever and quick fixes to that (see Bugzilla) caused major pain and
slowed down alternative approaches as well.

Moving everything on sourceforge would be bad politically, even with a
specific dedicated container for Apache projects under sourceforge.

At the same time, I think that Tigris will be far better off than
sourceforge as an infrastructure since they are developping better
technology, not just enforcing current groupware practices. (see their
new CVS called "Subversion"... very cool name, BTW)

Brian recently told us that Tigris is "ready to begin the transition of
Apache sites" and this means that we will be able to try a real
tigris-powered Apache site and, news two, that will also have a good JVM
on it (we are thinking about moving from FreeBSD to Linux just because
of lack of strong java support on BSD, believe me: this is a _major_ win
for all us java lovers and for java in general given the status of
BSD-lovers between the ASF members)

We are also discussing (heavily!) on the restructuring of the foundation
(redesign of PMC, flattering of the project structures, etc..) but it's
too early to tell how this is going to evolve.

I'll let you guys informed.

BTW, any comment (even addressed directly to the ASF members list) will
be highly appreciated.

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.